Don’t give me that look! Meatless Nuggets are completely a thing. Chickenless Nuggets? Vegan Nuggets? Vegetarian chicken tenders? In any case, as with most things you eat in this world, it’s all about the seasoning. This wonderfully satisfying recipe takes a little prep, but you’ll be able to boast to your friends and family that you managed to create cruelty free break time snack that you’ll want to make for years to come. Trust.
The best thing about this recipe is that you can choose to bake or fry these delicious little Vegan Meatless Nuggets. When frying, you get more of that authentic fast food flavor (say that five time fast). There’s more crunch, but obviously you’ll need a lot of neutral oil heated to the right temperature. More room for error.
If you’re going for a less oily more health route, try brushing some oil onto the nuggets before baking in a cast iron. You’ll also want to make sure you remove as much of the moisture as possible, so after freezing / pre-breading and marinating, you’ll want to press the tofu out so it gets more of that meaty / chunky / bite-tastic texture.
Meatless nuggets are such a great alternative to chicken nuggets – they’re ethical, easy, and so fun to make at home. You’ll find yourself making meatless nuggets on any free afternoon and finishing them all up before you know it! A perfect snack for the family or for all to yourself, make these Vegan Meatless Nuggets and try them with a variety of dips for a gathering or an indulgent Netflix-filled afternoon. Happy making!
- 1 Block of Extra Firm Tofu, pre-frozen and thawed preferred (this removes the moisture and creates a better 'nugget' texture)
- (2) Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup of Soy Milk (or milk of choice)
- (1) Teaspoon Hot Sauce (I like Sriracha)
- (2) Tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Good Salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Olive Oil (or oil of choice)
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup of Flour
- 1/2 Cup of Corn Starch
- 1 Cup of Breadcrumbs
- 2 Teaspoons of Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon of Crushed Red Chili Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon (if you have it) of White Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Good Salt
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil / Vegetable Oil if baking
- 1 Tablespoon of Corn Starch
- 1 Cup of Soy Milk or milk of choice (for Dredge)
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and add ripped nugget chunks of tofu in. Marinate for one hour.
- Prepare three bowls for breading - one with half corn starch and half flour mixture, one with bread crumbs mixed with spices, and one with soy milk.
- Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit or oil for frying (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Once tofu is done marinating, remove and begin the breading process - dip the tofu into the corn starch + flour mixture, then into the soy milk, back into the corn starch + flour mixture, back into the soy milk, and finished in the bread crumb mixture. Set finished nuggets aside on a plate.
- When all of the tofu is completed, place them into a well oiled cast iron for baking or fry in small batches and drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with your choice of dip - bbq, honey mustard, or ketchup!
Pin these to remember!